Travel Insurance for Amsterdam
Amsterdam is packed with riches and is one of Europe’s top city break destinations.
Lovers of architecture and art adore the Dutch capital. The city plays host to Rijksmuseum which brims with pieces from the Dutch Masters and the Van Gogh Museum is a delight for his fans.
If you want to get off your feet, then cruising along the city’s Golden Age canals is the perfect way to explore Amsterdam.
For city breaks, cruise stops or longer stays, you’ll need good travel insurance for Amsterdam, here’s what to look for.
Do I Need Travel Insurance for Amsterdam?
Yes! It’s always worthwhile taking out good travel insurance whenever you travel to Amsterdam.
While you can currently get free emergency, medical treatment using an EHIC, it doesn’t provide cover for cancellations, repatriation or personal possessions. These are all included as standard on any decent policy.
Research by the Association of British Insurers shows that travel insurers help 1 person every 3 minutes with emergency medical treatment and paid out almost £150 million for cancellations in 2018. With over 2 million Brits visiting the Netherlands and Amsterdam every year, the odds are that plenty of them will need help. If you’re one of them, you’ll want the peace of mind that a quality travel insurance for Amsterdam offers.
Medical Insurance for Travelling in Amsterdam.
To help you enjoy your holiday worry-free, it’s important that you declare all pre-existing medical conditions when applying for insurance that covers Amsterdam. Including them on your policy will help protect you should you need to cancel your trip because of your condition. It will also cover any associated medical and repatriation costs.
- Medical expenses covered up to £15,000,000.
- Cancellation and Curtailment covered up to £5,000.
- Personal Belongings covered up to £3,000.
- All ages. All medical conditions. All destinations.
What Should I Consider When Choosing Travel Insurance for Amsterdam?
There’s plenty to consider when choosing a travel insurance policy for Amsterdam. Look for comprehensive cover which includes the following:
- Medical bills and repatriation in case you need to pay for any medical care while travelling. In addition to repatriation, should doctors decide to transfer you to the UK on an air ambulance. We provide up to £15 million of cover plus 24/7 access to an Emergency Medical Assistance Service
- Cancellation and curtailment if an unforeseen emergency or a medical problem means you have to cancel or cut short your trip to Amsterdam. You don’t want to end up out of pocket if you’ve booked flights, hotels and a canal cruise. So, we cover this on all policies
- Baggage, personal possessions, money, passports and travel documents against loss, damage and theft while you are travelling. We cover this and offer specialist insurance for expensive gadgets (up to 7) such as mobile phones and tablets. Such devices are usually excluded from travel insurance policies
- Airline or end supplier failure to protect your money if your travel company goes bust and the ABTA or ATOL schemes don’t protect your holiday. AllClear offers this as standard on all policies.
Healthcare in Amsterdam
The standards of healthcare in the Netherlands are among the best in Europe. There are plenty of high-quality medical facilities in Amsterdam.
UK-issued EHICs will still be valid in Amsterdam until the UK leaves the EU, which means you can get emergency treatment for free. However, if there is a no-deal Brexit, then the status of your EHIC and existing reciprocal health agreements may change. Meaning, you might need to pay in full for treatment once the UK leaves the EU.
Irrelevant of the outcome of the Brexit negotiations, it’s important to remember that the EHIC only covers emergency medical treatment. Aside from medical treatment, you’ll need travel insurance to cover everything else, including repatriation as well as cancellation and curtailment costs. Data from the Association of British Travel Agents shows that over a third of uninsured travellers who have had to pay additional costs on holiday due to not having appropriate cover have had to spend between £500 and £4,000.
If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 112.
Get Online Quotes in 3 Simple Steps
1. Call us or click a quote button on our siteOnce you are ready to start the quote process, the first step is to provide your personal details and information about your holiday plans.
2. Complete our simple medical screening processYou then select the medical conditions for you (and any other travellers) and answer the specifically designed medical questions.
3. Get your quotesA summary of the quotes offered will then be provided for you to review. You can save your quotes or proceed to purchase at this stage.
Tips When Visiting Amsterdam
The currency is the Euro.
You don’t need a visa if you’re travelling to Amsterdam as a British citizen, however this may change after Brexit. The European Commission has proposed that British Citizens would be able to visit destinations in the EU for up to 90 days in any 180 days without a visa. This proposal is yet to be confirmed.
The official language of the Netherlands is Dutch. English is widely spoken throughout the country.
Local Laws and Customs:
You must be able to show your passport to police officers on their request.
The Netherlands does have a more liberal attitude to some drugs that are illegal in the UK. However, possession of prohibited substances or buying them outside of designated venues can carry a prison sentence.
Dutch border authorities are cautious of parents (particularly fathers) travelling on their own with children. People are regularly stopped for further checks at Schiphol airport. Occasionally, they are prevented from boarding flights. Therefore, you should carry a complete travel authorisation form and copies of any documents recommended.
Why More Than 3 Million People Have Chosen AllClear
We compare up to 61 prices online to find your perfect policy and 97% of our customers rate us ‘Great’ or ‘Excellent’ on Trustpilot.
“Clarity, simplicity and worry-free Medical Travel Insurance.”
…AllClear Travel has given both my wife and I peace of mind, and we are both looking forward to visiting our family in Amsterdam and to our vacation in September.
Read AllClear Trustpilot Reviews
We hope you found this guide to travel insurance for Amsterdam helpful and that you enjoy your next trip!
If you’d like to start a quote, click the quote now button below.